Yesterday, photographer extraordinaire Todd Selby presented a full photogallery of hiphop musician/producer Pharrell Williams's $14M penthouse in Miami, Fla. Filled with cartoonish sculptures, graphic art, and Louis Vuitton paraphernalia, the space befits someone who's completely obsessed with modern design—and who even creates some of it himself. Selby's work prompted us to go back and explore the real estate wheelings and dealings of some of Pharrell's hip-hop cohorts: what they've bought, what they've sold, and where they live.
Sean "Diddy" Combs enlisted the knowhow of celebrity designer Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz to dress his newest NYC digs (above) with modern furnishings in a silvery, neutral palette. Perhaps the soothing interiors calm the chaos left over from Combs's storied and rather tenous series of past real estate-related transactions in the Big Apple.
While Kanye West has expressed a deep love of baroque furnishings and decor on his Twitter feed, the Hollywood apartment he recently listed for close to $4M tells the story of a different aesthetic altogether (above). Like, say, Jetsons art and computer-controlled everything. Oh, and a painting of West depicted as an angel on the dining room ceiling.
Now that Li'L Wayne has been released from Riker's Island, he can finally make use of the $14M modern (above) he's renting on La Gorce, a private island off Miami. Quite an upgrade from being behind bars.
While he's never actually lived in the modest digs, unofficial Chicago spokesperson Common is renting out his two-bedroom investment apartment for a reasonable $2,500 a month (above). He purchased the unit for $402K a couple of years ago; it's his second purchase in the building. Now there's a reason to get chummy with the landlord.
· Pharrell Williams [The Selby]
· May We Remind You That Pharrell Williams Designs Furniture? [Curbed National]
· P. Diddy Sells [NYO]
· The Endless Design- and Decor-Related Tweets of Kanye West [Curbed National]
· Kanye West's Computer-Controlled Hollywood Home [Curbed LA]
· For Sale: Kanye's House [NYMag]
· HOUSE PORN OF THE DAY: Lil Wayne's $14 Million Dollar La Gorce Mansion [Business Insider]
· Rapper Common Renting Out Museum Park Condo [Chicago Breaking Business]
· Common Puts South Loop Condo Up for Rent [Curbed Chicago]