It's the last week of December and thus, time to make up a bunch of awards for the best, worst and most absurd things that happened in Cape & Islands real estate, architecture and neighborhoods. Here now, your 2014 Curbed Awards.
What do clam shacks, an octagon-shaped house, Taylor Swift, lobster rolls, the "Chatham Jewel," a shark, local firewater, and tiny houses galore have in common? Curbed readers, of course! From a 162-square-foot cottage to boozy maps, here are the top 10 most read stories of 2014.
10) It's Official: The 'Chatham Jewel' is Cape Cod's Priciest Listing
Back in 2013, this mega mansion hit the market for a staggering $25 million. Not surprisingly, it's still available.
9) The Ultimate Guide to Cape Cod's Best Clam Shacks
A year later, this 2013 map is still helping to clog arteries.
8) The Cape & Islands Lobster Roll Price Index: June 2014
From $11.50 to $28, a delicious roundup of lobster roll prices from across Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.
7) Pick Your Own Flower at Truro's Adorable Days' Cottages
In October, the adorable Days Cottages hit the market after spending over eight decades as summer rentals. Also known as the Flower Cottages, the 22 beachfront icons are "the most painted and photographed cottage colony on the Outer Cape." (ICYMI, buyers have already plucked half of the beachfront units.)
6) Beachfront Cottage in Dennis Port Wants $88K
Here's another oldie-but-goodie from 2013, a wee beachfront cottage asking just $88,000.
5) Why Doesn't Anyone Want Truro's Octagon House?
The brokerbabble for this Outer Cape abode kicked off with the understatement of the year: "This unique octagon home is one of kind!" Spoiler alert: the eight-sided spread eventually sold.
4) Taylor Swift Dumps Cape Cod, Walks Away with an $870K Profit
Back in 2013, Taylor Swift gave Hyannis Port the hook and made herself hefty sum in the process. Alas, she didn't even bother to write the Cape a breakup song.
3) Katharine The Great White Shark Loves the Shoulder Season; New Normal for Surfers; & More!
Linkage love for a most awesome shark and some surfers.
2) A Map of Cape and Islands Breweries, Wineries and Distilleries
Although we updated our handy guide to Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket booze in July, the old map from 2012 remained a favorite.
1) Inside the Tiniest Cottage For Sale on Cape Cod
Apparently, micro-living is really popular, virtually speaking. Best of all, this 162-square-foot cottage is, as of this writing, still available for $69,900.