Hear ye, hear ye: right this second marks the commencement of Curbed's second annual Hotels Week, a five-day tribute to hotels. We're leaving HotelChatter to drool over the groundbreakings, ownership switcharoos, and bubble-bath-filled honeymoon packages; instead, we'll be looking at hotels, whether they're classic old-money bastions, hot new properties carved into former brothels, or Rem Koolhaas creations in Rotterdam, through the larger lens of design. Throughout the week, look for interviews with big-name hospitality designers; tours and guides; maps and slideshows; just the right dose of bad hotel marketing materials; and detailed spotlights on noteworthy hotels around the globe, from the so-called "Crazy House" in Vietnam to a Puerto Rican getaway designed by a student of Louis Kahn.
Be sure to stayed tuned later this week for Curbed's second annual Hotel Heatmap (our definitive national map charting where to book a room right now) and the fourth and fifth installments of our Starter Kit series, CliffNotes on all one needs to open a particular breed—say, hipster boutique or sleek and modern—of hotel.
This year, for the first time ever, there's also an Instagram contest worth $500 to sweeten the pot. Have an awesome hotel photo to share—perhaps one with spectacular interiors or architecture? (Exhibit A: the photo below.) The steps are as follows:
1. Follow @curbeddotcom on Instagram.
2. Instagram your hotel photo, and be sure to tag @curbeddotcom in the caption.
3. On Thurs., March 27, we'll re-gram our favorites (and publish them here on the site).
4. On Fri, March 28 at 4 p.m. EST, the photo with the most "likes" will be crowned as the winner, earning its photographer a $500 gift certificate to a hotel of their choice.
For those who have a not-so-beautiful experience at a hotel, we want to hear about those horror stories, too. Tweet using #hotelsweek—we'll be mining the hashtag for the best and brightest tales.
And with that, away we go.
· All Hotels Week 2014 posts [Curbed National]