The brokerbabble for this Wellfleet abode makes no mention of the architect responsible for the 3BD, 1.5BA so we'll have to assume the spread isn't in the same pedigreed mid-century modern category as the Weidlinger House or Olav Hammarstrom's Saarinen House. Regardless, the 1,555 square footer was built in 1955 and is still a pretty decent example of mid-twentieth-century Modern residential architecture on outer Cape Cod.
The listing first appeared on the market back in June 2012 looking for $999,500, but went into hibernation by January 2013. As of this week, the property has returned for a less ambitious $865,000. Here's what the brokerbabble has to say:
Cape Cod paradise found in the Ponds area of the Wellfleet National Seashore. This Contemporary Modernist design is characteristic of the architectural movement founded in this unique area of Wellfleet. Sited on a magnificent 2.42 acre parcel that affords serene privacy while just a short stroll to two pristine fresh water ponds and a short distance to Newcomb Hollow Beach. The home is expandable and also has the option of adding a guest or art studio, barn, etc. Seller has had a septic engineering plan designed for a 6 bedroom Title 5 system.For the sake of (a possible apple to oranges) comparison, the waterfront Saarinen House spent over six years bouncing on and off the market before selling this spring for $1,093,000, far from the original $3,299,000 ask.
· Listing: 120 Way 657, Wellfleet [Kinlin Grover Real Estate via Zillow]
· Weidlinger Wire [Curbed Cape Cod]
· Olav Hammarstrom's Saarinen House Returns Seeking $1.2M [Curbed Cape Cod]
· Mid-Twentieth-Century Modern Residential Architecture on Outer Cape Cod, 1929 - 1979 [National Park Service]
· Recently Sold: 520 Black Pond Road, Wellfleet [Robert Paul Properties]