Last night, the Crested Butte Town Council unanimously approved a special use permit that will allow Bud Light to turn the historic town into Whatever Town, USA. It's all part of Bud Light's "Are You Up for Whatever" ad campaign that will bring 1,000 "up-for-anything" partiers to Crested Butte from September 5-7. There's been controversy about the plans since they were leaked earlier this week, with some questioning whether this was the right move for the Colorado ski town.
Another key complaint was whether the $250,000 payment Anheuser-Busch would make to Crested Butte was enough. It seems that the Town Council listened to those criticisms, as the permit now requires a $500,000 payment.
A recent Curbed Ski poll found most readers in favor of the blue beer party, so let's take a look at what will happen when Bud Light comes to town:
· Elk Avenue and its lampposts are to be fenced off and painted Bud Light blue (there's an official color called that?)
· Street performers will roam the crowds
· There will be pop-up bars on Elk Avenue
· There will be a giant stage with live music
· A massive Twister game is rumored to be in the works
· Only Bud Light will be served in participating bars.
· Bud Light will also take over Crested Butte's Big Mine Ice Arena and the Center for the Performing Arts
Over 100,000 people have applied to be part of the Whatever town party, but only 1,000 will be allowed to come. Feel like killing some brain cells? Peruse the audition videos for Whatever, USA. Ten second clips show
drunk idiots Bud Light drinkers answering questions like "What's your spirit animal?" and "If you come to Whatever Town, USA, what will you bring?" The answers are pretty much exactly what you'd expect.
· Council decides Whatever will happen in Crested Butte [Denver Post]
· Bud Light Fantasy Town Still Needs Crested Butte Approval [Curbed Ski]
· Should Bud Light Turn Crested Butte Into Its Blue Bro Beerfest? [Curbed Ski]
· From Telluride to Winter Park: Average Rent in 17 Ski Towns [Curbed Ski]
· Why the Death of the Ski Bum Will Ruin Ski Towns Everywhere [Curbed Ski]