Photographer Christian Richter was raised in the former East Germany. After the two sides of Germany reunited in 1990, many factories, public institutions, and residential buildings on the less prosperous eastern side were abandoned and left to decay (it had been a socialist state, with no private ownership). 25 years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, there are still hundreds of atmospheric ruins dotted around the country. Richter's particular passion is staircases, and he has traveled all around Europe documenting the distinctive ways the ones in castles, châteaux and mansions have fallen into ruin. "I visited a lot—and i mean a lot—of buildings to find one good staircase," he says. "It's a lot of detective work."
· Christian Richter Photography [official site; Facebook]
· My Photos of Stairs in Abandoned Buildings That I've Collected Over the Years [Bored Panda]
· All Abandonment Issues posts [Curbed National]
· All Photography posts [Curbed National]
· All Artistry posts [Curbed National]