The six-story landmarked building in New York's Tribeca neighborhood once served as a warehouse for caviar and soap, complete with brick walls, 16-foot-high beamed ceilings, and clanking freight elevators. The 1884 Romanesque revival building just received a full-scale renovation by the New York firm of Andrew Franz, with elegant steel, glass, tile, and lacquer sections added to the historic shell. The top two floors, once dim and poorly ventilated, now contain a striking open-plan residence with a 150-square-foot retractable skylight that fills the home with natural light. The transition between indoor and outdoor space is rather fluid, with an inverted courtyard down below connecting to a green roof garden up above.
· 1884 Caviar Warehouse Transformed Into Spectacular Loft in New York [Freshome]
· Modern Duplex In An 1884 Factory Retains Its Industrial Feel [Curbed NY]
· All Conversions posts [Curbed National]