Last week, a key vote by the Snyderville Basin Planning Commission in Utah's Summit County secured approval for a gondola linking Park City Mountain Resort (PCMR) and Canyons resort. The gondola is part of an ambitious $50 million plan by owner Vail Resorts to upgrade everything from the restaurants to the chairlifts at PCMR, one of Utah's most well-known ski areas. Now, the approval process for the Interconnect Gondola is contingent upon a February 25 Planning Commission meeting in Park City.
Vail Resorts bought Park City Mountain Resort from Powdr Corp for $182.5 million in September, and the industry heavyweight had hinted that big improvements were coming to Utah. Still, no one expected Vail to make a $50 million one-year investment in their Park City/Canyons properties. Head over here for a full list of what $50 million buys at a ski resort these days.
Currently under consideration is the Interconnect Gondola, an eight-passenger, high-speed, two-way gondola from the base of the existing Silverlode Lift at Park City to the Flatiron Lift at Canyons. The gondola will also have an unload at the top of Pine Cone Ridge to allow skiers and riders the opportunity to ski into Thaynes Canyons at Park City via gated ski access or to the Iron Mountain area at Canyons through new trails that will be created from Pine Cone Ridge.
Now we wait for the second approval from Park City, set for February 25. Once approved, Vail Resorts plans to begin construction this summer.
Here are some photos of where Vail Resorts plans to build the PCMR terminal of the Interconnect Gondola:
· Interconnect Gondola flies through Basin panel [Park Record]
· Vail Moves Forward on Plans for Park City-Canyons Gondola [Curbed Ski]
· Vail Will Spend $50 Million to Create Biggest Ski Area in USA [Curbed Ski]
· Vail Plans to Connect PCMR and Canyons in Summer 2015 [Curbed Ski]
· Breaking: Vail Resorts Buys Park City Mountain Resort [Curbed Ski]
· New Utah Blueprint Threatens the Future of One Wasatch [Curbed Ski]
· What Vail's Purchase of Park City Means for Skiers This Year [Curbed Ski]
· Which Ski Resort Has The Most Skiing in North America? [Curbed Ski]