The Denver Post is reporting that Colorado's Powderhorn Resort will pump nearly $5 million into the ski area this summer, resulting in the largest upgrade in at least 20 years. Located near Grand Junction, the ski area is currently owned by former Vail executive Andy Daly and an contingent of brothers from the Gart family (of Denver-based Gart Brothers fame). They bought the then struggling resort in 2011 for only $1.4 million and now have big plans.
Here's a list of proposed improvements:
· A new high-speed quad chairlift will replace an old fixed-grip called Take Four
· An upgrade in snowmaking systems
· Develop mountain bike operations including trails and bike-carriers on the new lift
Construction should begin this summer. Eventually, the resort also hopes to develop real estate at the base of the ski area.
· Powderhorn ski area to get $5M upgrade, largest in 20 years [Denver Post]
· Powderhorn Mountain Resort [Official Site]
· 6 Reasons Why You Should Try A-Basin's Moonlight Dinners [Curbed Ski]
· Can John Denver's Aspen Home Bring World Peace? [Curbed Ski]
· Copper Plans New Lift For Tucker Mountain this Summer [Curbed Ski]