This is your chance to own the lake house where gruff former Secret Service agent Frank Farmer rebuffed the advances of musical superstar Rachel Marron, even though we all knew their chemistry was electric. We're talking of course about 1992's "The Bodyguard," starring Kevin Costner as Frank and Whitney Houston as Rachel. Critics never understood "The Bodyguard," but true fans of cinema will want to check out this home on the edge of Fallen Leaf Lake near South Lake Tahoe where a portion of the film was shot. (Another '90s gem, "City of Angels," also filmed here.) Recently listed for $7.9 million, this 3,044-square-foot home was built in 1970 by Mansfield Smith, who passed away in January at the age of 95, in collaboration with local architect Paul Hamilton. It's not a "new, contemporary, lavish palace," according to the listing agent, but it certainly wears its age well.
The home pairs modern geometry with wood—lots of it. Rough hewn posts, exposed wooden beams, wooden planks of a dizzying number of widths all are at home here. The massive rock fireplace that bursts through the top of the roofline serves as the main non-wood accent.
Every room in the home enjoys views of Fallen Leaf Lake. The sight of Mount Tallac rising above the lake gave the home its name: Tallac House. The five-bedroom, three-bath home sits on nearly three acres with 197 feet of waterfront. With three of those bedrooms being bunk rooms, the setup works well for families or extended groups with plenty of children. The property also has a 76-foot-long pier, where Frank once leaped into the icy winter water to save Rachel's son, Fletcher. Not that we've worn out a VHS copy of "The Bodyguard" or anything.
· 1131 Fallen Leaf Rd [Realtor.com]
· Lake Tahoe's Tallac House—Featured in 'The Bodyguard'—Lists for $8M [Realtor.com]
· New Boutique Hotel Fills Luxury Void in South Lake Tahoe [Curbed Ski]
· Hey Ski Bums, Here Are the 29 Best Dive Bars in Ski Country [Curbed Ski]
· Insane $75 M Lake Tahoe Home Has Replica of Titanic Staircase [Curbed Ski]
· Quentin Tarantino and Samuel L. Jackson's Magical Bonfire Just Brought Tons of Snow to Telluride [Curbed Ski]