The new benefit auction from New York-based architecture non-profit Van Alen Institute might just make somebody's architect fantasies come true. Running from May 6 to 20, the "Auction of Art + Design Experiences," is offering 20 intriguing "date" of sorts with various stars of the architecture and design realm, with starting bids ranging from $500 for a New York City architecture tour with Instagram-famous photographers to $1950 for a custom tattoo design from English conceptual artist Liam Gillick. And of course, opportunities for starchitect rendezvous are aplenty.
Below, a taste of some of the coolest lots up for bid:
5. "Smoke up with Bjarke Ingels," a.k.a. join him for a test of the smoke ring generator planned for the firm's new waste-to-energy power plant at the Amager Resource Center in Copenhagen (↑).
4. A birdwatching expedition with architect and certified genius Jeanne Gang in New York City or Chicago.
3. A rare tour of the private gardens of Dutch landscape architect Piet Oudolf.
2. A stay at the Italian "treehouse paradise" of American designer Amy Franceschini and international design collective Futurefarmers.
1. A 24-hour design tour of Beirut with Lebanese furniture maker and interior designer Nada Debs.
(Not to mention a hot tub discussion with High Line-designer Charles Renfro!)
· Auction of Art + Design Experiences [Paddle 8]