A 1930's marble-clad palace that's been left abandoned for decades in Florence, the Palazzina Reale has recently been reborn as the home of the Order of Architects and of the Fondazione Architetti Firenze. The original design, by Giovanni Michelucci and Gruppo Toscano, was meant to receive monarchs, and manages to combine a traditional respect for material with a streamlined, proto-Modernist look. The press hailed the structure as a "building of perfect good taste and absolute perfection" when it opened, but it was never actually used as intended, instead becoming storage space. By reopening the space to serve as a cultural center and meeting and event space for the architecture and urban planning communities, the three groups behind the project, the Order of Architects of Florence, the Architects' Foundation of Florence and Grandi Stazioni, the railway company, have brought this classic back to life.
·A new 1930s home for architects in Florence [Abitare]
· Previous Italy Coverage [Curbed]