Breckenridge is next in line for the Vail Resorts summer recreation treatment. The U.S. Forest Service gave its blessing to most of the mega-resort operator's requests for summer improvements. Breckenridge Ski Resort will get zip lines, canopy tours, mountain bike trails, challenge courses, new trails and an observation tower. Like the $25 million plans approved for Vail and the work going on at Heavenly, the improvements are part of the mothership's Epic Discovery project to further remake the resorts into year-round destinations.
In the decision letter approving Breckenridge's summer expansion, it states that the traffic at the resort's Summer Fun Park has grown 18 percent since 2010. And ever since the 2011 Ski Area Recreational Opportunity Enhancement Act was passed, Vail Resorts has been looking to increase that growth.
According to the Denver Post, the White River National Forest, where Breckenridge and Vail sit, expects 150,000 additional summer visitors per year in the future. The economic impact of just the additional visitors to Breckenridge could be between $3 million and $12.3 million per year, according to the Forest Service.
List of Breckenridge summer additions:
• Vista Haus and Independence SuperChair site improvement
• Sawmill and Peak 7 zip lines
• Sawmill and Ore Bucket canopy tours
• Challenge courses
• Mountain bike trails and skills course
• Hiking trails
• Upper Four O'Clock Road realignment
• Vista Haus deck and climbing wall
• Peak 7 hut expansion
• Observation tower
According to the decision letter, the locations of these improvements will allow "for more concentrated uses near chairlift and restaurant hubs at Peaks 7 and 8, while allowing for more solitude the farther guests venture out from these core activity areas."
· Forest Service Gives All Clear to Breckenridge Summer Recreation Plan [Denver Post]
· Heavenly Resort Begins Construction on Epic Discovery [Curbed Ski]
· Heavenly Resort Expansion Targets Summer Tourism [Curbed Ski]
· Vail To Get Huge $25M Mountain Adventure Theme Park [Curbed Ski]