In celebration of #MuseumWeek on Instagram and on Twitter—everyone's favorite photo-based social media platform—we're bringing you 17 of the best Instagram accounts for lovers of design, architecture, and cultural institutions.
1. The Studio Museum in Harlem – Harlem, New York
It's the opening weekend of the spring season and admission is FREE today! Join us for #TargetFreeSunday from 12–6pm and explore all seven exhibitions and projects on view. Be sure to click the link in our bio to learn more! -- Thanks @ladydaydayday for snapping this great photo of Ebony G. Patterson's #whentheygrowup. We'll be sharing visitor photos all day to celebrate the new season! #StudioMuseum #EbonyGPatterson
2. Walker Art Center – Minneapolis, Minnesota
3. The Barnes Foundation – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Formerly located in Merion, Pennsylvania, the Barnes Foundation's new home is the work of New York firm Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects.
4. Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art – Bentonville, Arkansas
5. The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art – Kansas City, Missouri
In honor of #worldwaterday what's our largest water-related artwork? The "One Sun / 34 Moons" sculpture and reflecting pool by Walter De Maria, of course. By day, light dances across the surface of the water. At night, the 34 moons emit a mysterious glow. | See @philbrookmuseum for more water items and they challenged @crystalbridgesmuseum @dallasmuseumart @mcnayart @mfahouston @mfaboston @oklahomacitymoa and @gilcreasemuseum to also share.
6. Natural History Museum of Utah – Salt Lake City, Utah
7. Museum of Contemporary African Diasporic Arts – Brooklyn, New York
8. Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) Cleveland – Cleveland, Ohio
9. Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) – Los Angeles, California
10. Pérez Art Museum Miami – Miami, Florida
Swiss firm Herzog and de Meuron designed this new home for the contemporary art museum. The building opened in 2013.
11. Aspen Art Museum – Aspen, Colorado
12. de Young Museum – San Francisco, California
Herzog and de Meuron also crafted the de Young Museum's home in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.
13. The Metropolitan Museum of Art – New York, New York
The #MetBreuer opens at 10 am on Friday! This weekend, join us for three days of special programs and extended hours (10 am to 10 pm on Friday and Saturday) for the public to experience the Museum's new space dedicated to modern and contemporary art at all three of our locations. Highlights include a series of 9-minute talks presented by over 30 artists, writers, performers, designers, curators, Met staff, and other creative voices from across New York City. A special Family Day will take place on Sunday, March 20, with programs and events for visitors of all ages, noon–4 pm. Click the link in our profile to see the full schedule of events. Enjoy this regram from @mjfiii of Marcel Breuer’s iconic lobby with its rows upon rows of moonlike shades. Photo by @dave.krugman #TheMet #MarcelBreuer
The Met, as this museum is commonly known, recently moved into the old home of the circa-1966 Whitney Museum, designed by legendary architect Marcel Breuer. More on that here.
14. Art Institute of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois
15. The Broad Museum – Los Angeles, California
16. The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston – Houston, Texas
"But in this climate you cannot want an open patio." Ludwig #Mies van Rohe, wisely remarking on Houston, was born #onthisday in 1886. He designed our Law Building’s Cullinan Hall & Brown Pavilion, which contains one of the few Mies-designed theaters still in use today. #MFAH Photo by Hedrich Blessing
17. Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum – Boston, Massachusetts
∙ All Photography coverage [Curbed]