clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Tallest Tower in Europe Planned as Part of Massive Madrid Building Project

The proposed skyscraper would stretch above The Shard

A 70-story building—what the developer is calling the largest skyscraper in the European Union—could soon rise in a northern Madrid neighborhood, according to EuroWeekly.

The current tallest tower in the EU is London's Shard, rising 95 floors and 1,016 feet. Designs for the planned 70-story Spanish skyscraper haven't yet been released, but the developer isn't just betting on a potential Brexit to steal the tallest-tower crown.

The building will be taller than 1,000 feet, said Antonio Béjar, head of the organization developing the project, Distrito Castellana Norte (DCN).

Whether it's the tallest in the EU or just the tallest in Spain, the proposed Madrid skyscraper will be a key component of the DCN's 740-acre urban regeneration plan—one of the largest of its kind in Europe. The $6.8 billion project will transform an area of obsolete industrial land in Madrid's Chatmartin district into a bustling urban center with five additional skyscrapers, more than 17,000 new homes, expansive public greenspace, and a high-speed rail station.

DCN is jointly owned by Spain's second-largest bank, BBVA, which holds a 75.5 percent stake in the project, and construction firm San Jose, which owns the remaining 24.5 percent.

Madrid construction firm aims to build EU’s tallest skyscraper [EuroWeekly]

This Building in Madrid is Covered in 150 Security Cameras [Curbed]

The Coolest Coworking Pad in Madrid is Full of Holes [Curbed]