clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Mapping America’s Inequality Leads to Eye-Opening Results

New, 2 comments

How unequal is your area?

Were you surprised to learn that Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is the most economically unequal city in the U.S.? Curious to see how your county stacks up? Now, a new graphic from the cost-visualization site How Much has mapped economic data from the Economic Policy Institute showing the relative income disparities between an area’s top 1 percent of wealthy folks compared to the other 99 percent.

On average, the top 1 percent has an annual income that’s more than 25.3 times the lower 99 percent, working out to respective averages of $1,152,293 and $45,567 in income per year.

After Teton county, Wyoming—where the top 1 percent’s income was 233 times the income of the lower 99 percent—the counties with the greatest income inequality were La Salle, Texas; Shackelford, Texas; New York, New York; and Custer, Colorado. In some of these counties, the inequality is driven in part by restrictive zoning practices that price-out low- and middle-income earners.

The areas with the lowest income inequality had a top 1 percent making just five to six times the bottom 99 percent. These counties included Wade Hampton, Alaska; Manassas Park City, Virginia; Shannon, South Dakota; Aleutians West, Alaska; and Chattahoochee, Georgia—though several of these counties have extreme poverty and low employment.