Summer officially begins June 21, which means it’s time to update your home with the season’s must-haves. Home goods, just like one’s wardrobe, should be updated each season. So I’ve rounded up 20 summer essentials to help you get started—broken down by indoor and outdoor picks.
- Linen bedding: Summer is the best time to incorporate linen into your home, and Parachute’s sheets are a perfect choice. Light and airy, the Linen Venice Set captures the fabric's breezy, timeless appeal. Cool fact: The fabric is spun in a family-owned factory, located in the Guimarães region of northern Portugal.
- A powerful fan: This is a must for obvious reasons, especially if you don’t have an air conditioner (if you do want an AC, this is the best-selling one on Amazon). I have the Dyson Air Multiplier fan and it’s fantastic. A much less expensive alternative is the small but mighty Honeywell fan for $12.50.
- Colorful pillows: Make your home happy and comfortable by adding pillows in pretty hues and lightweight fabrics like cotton or linen. Right now you can get two of the Magical Thinking Avery Tassel Pillows for $60 on Urban Outfitters.
- Lightweight throw: This Turkish cotton pestemal quadruples as a light throw, tablecloth, picnic blanket, and shawl and comes in an array of colors. You can also use it as a towel, making this one of the most useful items I’ve seen. At just $27 apiece, it’s worth picking up a couple.
- Vases and planters: There’s something about summer that makes me want to buy every plant and bouquet of flowers that I see on the side of NYC streets. So it’s good to have vases and planters handy. I love this Hawkins New York vase and Parker 6-inch Planter (with drainage tray).
- Fresh-scented candles: An easy way to bring a summery scent inside is to place a few candles throughout your home. I’m a fan of Diptyque’s popular offerings.
- A great juicer: This highly rated Omega juicer found in restaurants and juice bars across the country is easy to use and multifunctional. Not just for juicing, either—it turns nuts into nut butter, extrudes pasta, grinds coffee and spices, and more.
- Bright coasters: Coasters are essential for protecting the surfaces of furniture where you place beverages, especially when cold drinks sweat in the summertime. I love these handmade agate coasters that are now 40 percent off on Wayfair.
- Chic storage: Lidded baskets are a fun and textural way to store everything from toys to linens to beach towels. Strips of recycled plastic are wrapped around coils of seagrass to create bold patterns in the La Jolla Baskets from Serena & Lily.
- New wall art: Art doesn’t have to be an expensive masterpiece to be great. Dress up a wall for the summertime with this cactus art print from California artist Jane Wilder.
- Foldable chairs: Handcrafted in weather-resistant fabric, this Teak Sling Chair is a laid-back favorite that comes in a range of solids and patterns. The comfortable and easy-to-handle design works for any outdoor occasion at the beach, pool, or backyard.
- A hammock: Who doesn’t want to lounge on a hammock and enjoy the nice weather? This two-person hammock, rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Wayfair, can be hung on a tree or metal frame and is made of waterproof fabric.
- Outdoor pillows: Another great addition to your outdoor furniture arsenal? These pillows designed for outdoor use. The new Tilden pillow cover at Serena & Lily is made to resist soil, stains, UV rays, and water, and comes in a fun abstract leaf print.
- Drink dispensers: These beverage dispensers from Sur La Table are a summer must-have for outdoor (or indoor) gatherings. When I asked my coworker what her summer essentials are, she immediately mentioned these. My favorite is the Classic Beverage Jar, which is now 40 percent off.
- Serving trays: The Savore Serving Tray from award-winning home goods brand Umbra makes entertaining the breezy pleasure that it should be. For just $40, shine at your next dinner party with this minimal wood and metal serving tray.
- Linen tableware: Parachute Home has a new tabletop collection that is on my summer wish list. Elevate your entire table setting for a dinner party with these linen tablecloths (that double as a picnic blanket), placemats, and napkins.
- An outdoor table: Of course you need furniture to eat on, and the wood patio dining set I recommended last month is still on sale at Target. Save an additional 10 percent with code JUNE.
- Fun lights: Great lighting is a must, and for $10 you can add a warm glow to your outdoor space with these highly rated globe lights from Target.
- Beach towels: This unique Vertty beach towel, which has a waterproof pocket, is handmade in Portugal. Its signature Ketten material won't get soaked through, remaining super lightweight for its sprawl-worthy surface area.
- Picnic baskets: One of my favorite things to do in the summer is picnic in a park, and the Weekend Willow Basket for Two from Cost Plus World Market is perfect for that. I also love the Wine & Cheese Picnic Basket from Terrain and the Red Picnic Cooler from Crate & Barrel.
Need advice on where to shop online for home goods and what to buy? Tell me what you’d like to see next on Great Finds in the comments!