After two years of renovation, the Paris apartment where Le Corbusier lived and worked from 1934 to 1965 is now ready for the public to visit. Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2016, the apartment is part of Immeuble Molitor, a 15-unit complex Le Corbusier designed with his cousin, Pierre Jeanneret, in the early 1930s.
Inspired by the Maison de Verre, Le Corbusier designed the complex with a predominately glass facade. One of the first residential buildings to include large panes of glass, Immeuble Molitor features residences with floor-to-ceiling windows that span the entirety of one wall.
Le Corbusier reserved the top two floors of the building for himself and his wife, and he treated the 2,600-square-foot duplex as a testbed for his five points of modern architecture. The open space has as few corridors and doors as possible; the walls are painted in blocks of primary colors; and there’s a roof terrace that overlooks the street. Upstairs, he reserved space for a starkly decorated atelier where he painted in the mornings and designed in the afternoon.
For those who want to see the modernist jewel up close, you can book a tour here.